Application Guideline of
Chinese Government Scholarship-CUP
for Master and PhD Program
Shanghai Normal University
1. Conditions of application
1) Non-Chinese nationality, in good health.
2) Excellent academic achievements, good academic development potential.
3) Only apply for master or PhD degree.
4) Age requirement:
Applicants for master should not be over 35 years old.
Applicants for PhD should not be over 40 years old.
5) Should not be a registered student in any Chinese university at the time of application; or be a graduate from any Chinese university for less than one year.
6) Language proficiency requirements
Master degree: New HSK 5 level (scored 210 or above, with a score of not less than 70 points in a single event)
Doctoral degree: New HSK 6 level (scored 180 or above, with a score of not less than 60 points in a single event)
The HSK certificate is valid for three years; applicants who have obtained a bachelor or master degree Chinese language major and with a thesis written in Chinese) in a Chinese university are exempted from the HSK certificate.
If the Chinese language level does not meet the requirements to be enrolled for professional studies, but applicants are planning to apply for Chinese program before the professional study, the following requirements should be met: master degree applicants must have reached HSK level 3 (scored above 180 points); doctoral degree applicant must have reached HSK Level 4 (scored above180 points). After having passed the Chinese language exam at the end of the year, you can start your required major. (Priority will be given to students who already passed the Chinese proficiency exams)
IELTS>6.0 or TOEFL (iBT) 95>points
Applicants with English as mother language are exempted from IELTS or TOEFL scores.
Currently our English taught master programs are only in Finance.
2. Enrollment major
The independent enrollment program of the Chinese Government Scholarship funds are all open for Master and Doctoral programs at Shanghai Normal University, but does not include Master of International Education in Chinese, other third-country languages and literature majors in English, French, Japanese, and so on.
1)Master Degree Programs
2)Doctoral Degree Programs
3. Application procedure
Step 1:Fill in Application form for Chinese Government Scholarship online http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/register（Our school organization code: 10270）
Step 2:Apply on the website of the International Student admission system of our University https://apply.shnu.edu.cn/ The registration fee must be paid as required and the payment voucher must be uploaded. Only applications that have paid the registration fee will be considered valid.(Bank account information of Shanghai Normal University)
Step 3:Please send the following materials before April 12th (please refer to the contact information for the address):
1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship（download from the CSC website http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/registerafter online application, print in duplicate）, signed and photo attached.
The application form should be printed out from the online system and completed with the applicant’s signature.
2) The printout of the personal information page fileon our school’s International Student Admissions System website https://apply.shnu.edu.cn/.
3) A notarized copy of the highest academic certificate, diploma or degree certificate. (If not in Chinese or English, a notarized translation in Chinese or English is required).
4) Notarized and complete high school or undergraduate or master's grade transcripts (if not in Chinese or English, a notarized translations in Chinese or English is required ).
5) Two letters of recommendation from professors of relevant majors (in Chinese or English, with the seal of the professor's unit, signature and related contact information).（download the sample）
6) A Study plan in China. (in Chinese or English, no less than 800 words for master degree student, no less than 1500 words for doctor degree student)
7) Language proficiency test materials (HSK certificate is required from applicants applying for Chinese language teaching; for English teaching programs, applicants must provide TOFEL, IELTS, etc.).
8) Personal works of art or music (Applicants for art majors).
9) "Physical Examination Recordfor foreigners"（download the form）and blood test report with medical examination form.
10) 520 Yuan or 80 dollars application fee payment voucher.
11)Photocopy of valid passport..
Note:All application materials are not refundable regardless of whether or not application is successful.If application materials are incomplete, application shall be deemed to be waived.
Step 4.According to the admission requirements of different majors, there may be an entrance examination (written examination, interview or online examination), time and place to be notified. Please check emails frequently.
4. Application time:
Deadline of application:April 12, 2019
Note:In addition to completing the online application process, all written application documents should be sent to our school by April 12, 2019. The mailing address is shown in the contact information.(Download the List of Application Documents)
5. Admission and enrollment
1.) According to the application materials for admission, the initial results will be announced by the end of June.
2）Admitted students should register at the International Students office of Shanghai Normal University in strict accordance with the time specified in the admission notice. Students who fail to register after the prescribed period of time will be disqualified.
6. Scholarship Coverage
1) Exemption from tuition fee, and accommodation on campus; Accommodation is arranged by the school (double room). Accommodation subsidy will be provided for those who choose to live outside campus (The standard is 700 Yuan/month.)
2) Provision of comprehensive medical insurance and monthly living expense (Doctoral program: CNY3500; Graduate program: CNY3000)
Note:Please refer to the website of the China Scholarship Council for details.
Address: International Student Center Room 102,Shanghai Normal University,No.100 Guilin Road, Shanghai, China, 200234)
International Students Office, Shanghai Normal University